Friday, May 8, 2009

Greetings from Upton Park

No, I'm not in East London right now, but I have two friends – and possibly a third – who will be present for West Ham v. Liverpool this Saturday. Two of those three are West Ham through and through, and the third is mostly just along for the ride. But he's a helluva guy and I wish all those guys the best during their Saturday out – within reason, of course.

This one is a tricky run for Liverpool, isn't it? Gianfranco Zola has the Hammers playing well. I haven't seen too much of West Ham live, but I did catch them home to United and Chelsea, both 0-1 results for the visitors. They had just one really decent chance against United, from what I remember, and Giggs scored an amazing goal that made the difference. Cech saved a penalty in the Chelsea match, but West Ham were threatening there, too. It's not clear if Torres and Gerrard will both be ready to go 100 percent on Saturday, so Liverpool has to be careful.

That's it. That's the extent of my pre-match analysis. I know, you're floored. I'd just like to get to the match and enjoy some football. It's been a week to make one weary, so here's to the break.

On a personal note, here's a shout for local lad Kuba, who is jetting off to South Africa for 80 days following Saturday's match. He's been a fixture at the pub this season and he will be missed. This summer, who will sing "Desperado" at karaoke in his absence? If you're around, pay a visit to the Highbury Pub, 2322 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. in Milwaukee this Saturday morning to send the boy off.

No comments: