Thursday, February 19, 2009

Top 50 Liverpool players


From The Times of London, a list of the Top 50 Liverpool Players. I'm sure there's plenty of debate to wrangle through, but either way, this makes for a terrific read. Especially for those who, like me, are uninitiated in the full lore of Liverpool FC.

Of the 50, I picked the picture of Diti Hamann for three reasons.
  • He was a vital part of one of the greatest matches I've ever seen - a match that still brings a smile each time it's brought up
  • I'll never forget that terrible tackle he endured from a then relatively new to the Premier League (kind of still is though, isn't he?) Michael Essien - before we realized how good Essien would turn out to be
  • My Scouse mate Ian likes to feature his Hamann shirt from time to time
I often note that as an American, gathering a base of knowledge on the history of the game is the most difficult part of moving forward. All those little anecdotes, player triumphs and failures, legendary managers, you name it. I, like many others, love the game dearly. I know the game well, but I'll never be riddled with the hubris to think that I know even a slice of what has come before me. Coming across pieces like this helps add the layers. 

Give it some time. And while you're at it, give this some time ...

No comments: